While you can use the System File Checker, Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management, Reset and Cloud Reset options to repair a lost or corrupt system file, this article will show you how you can also replace a corrupt or missing system file with a good file. using your Windows 10 Installation Media.
Replace Damaged System Files with Good Files Using Installation Media
Sometimes certain system files may be lost or damaged which causes the system to become unstable and sometimes creates a blue screen error or BSOD. And it could get worse, and the only option you might have is to reinstall the OS.
However, it is possible to restore corrupted files using the Windows 10 installation media. It is important that you know the exact path of the system files before proceeding. If you don’t know it, searching for it using Bing or Google might be a good idea.
- Next, boot into the BIOS and set the USB drive to be the first boot order. Save and exit BIOS/UEFI.
- Insert installation media you and restart your computer. You will now see the screen Setup Windows 10.
- Choose an option Repair and you will be taken to the screen Advanced Recovery. On this screen select Troubleshoot then click Command Prompt.
- Assuming that you want to replace the ntfs.sys file which is located in the System32Drivers folder, then run the following commands below in the order specified. You have to choose between x86 (for 32-bit) or x64 (for 64-bit) which depends on your computer architecture.
- Since we have deleted the old file, it will not ask for permission to overwrite the file.
- Repeat the same command above for other lost files, then exit the command prompt and Advanced Recovery. Do not forget to replace the command (ntfs.sys) with another file system that you want to replace.
- Restart computer and check if there are still any error, missing or corrupt files on your system.
There is one thing you need to take care of. Some file systems change depending on the OS version. So make sure you copy the file from the same Windows 10 ISO version. If you need a file from a different version instead of the latest version, then you can download other versions of Windows or you can download exe files, dll, and other OS files from Microsoft.
So many tutorials this time. Hopefully this method is useful for fixing errors that occur on your system. Don’t forget to leave your comments below to share your thoughts and experiences in following this tutorial. Thank you and GBU. UNITED AGAINST COVID-19!!