Musical Instrument Digital Interface or known as MIDI is basically a protocol that allows communication between computers, electronic instruments and other digital musical instruments. It is a sequence of messages such as pitchbend, note on, note off, afterpitch and others that is understood by MIDI instruments to produce music. There are many types of MIDI instruments such as synthesizers, keyboards, sequencers and more. And a MIDI interface is a device that allows a MIDI instrument to connect to a computer and work with it.
The MIDI driver is just like any other driver in Windows. A MIDI driver is a software component used to allow MIDI equipment and the OS to communicate. It controls and enables the MIDI Interface (interface) to be properly used by other music-related applications and programs. MIDI drivers must be installed if you want to use multiple MIDI instruments in Windows 10.
If your PC cannot recognize a MIDI device, you must install the correct MIDI driver for it. Let’s see how you can install the correct MIDI drivers in Windows 10.
How to Install MIDI Drivers
To install MIDI drivers in Windows 10 and fix missing MIDI drivers, you can use the following methods. Let’s describe this method now.
1. Run the Hardware and Device Troubleshooter
Usually, Windows installs the correct drivers each time hardware is connected. However, if this is not the case with your MIDI device, then you can try running the Hardware and Device Troubleshooter to fix it. Before looking for other solutions, try the steps below to troubleshoot MIDI drivers.
- First, launch Command Prompt by pressing the button Win + R, then type cmd and press Enter.
- Furthermore, enter command below in command prompt and press Enter.
msdt.exe –id DeviceDiagnostic
- Wait a few seconds after entering the above command. You will see the Hardware and Device troubleshooter window.
- Just click the button Next. This will troubleshoot the program and see it fix the missing MIDI driver issue.
2. Find MIDI Drivers on Manufacturer’s Official Website
You should try to find the latest MIDI drivers on the official website of your device manufacturer. Most manufacturers provide the latest MIDI drivers on their websites which you can download and install on your Windows 10 PC. Also, if you choose to download the MIDI driver from elsewhere, make sure the website guarantees its authenticity.
- If you are using Akai MPC (MIDI Production Center aka Music Production Center), you can visit the official website to find the relevant drivers and then install the ones you need.
- If you are using a Korg USB MIDI Device, you can find the MIDI driver here.
If you can’t find the appropriate MIDI driver on the official website, you can also contact the manufacturer and ask them to help you get the correct MIDI driver for your device.
3. Check MIDI Driver Using Third Party Application
4. Run in Compatibility Mode
That’s my article this time, I hope it helps you repair and install MIDI drivers on your Windows 10. Don’t forget to leave your comments below to share your thoughts and experiences in following this tutorial. Thank you and GBU. UNITED AGAINST COVID-19!!