If you don’t use Microsoft Teams on your computer, you can hide or remove the Chat icon from the Taskbar in Windows 11. I’m going to give you five different guides that you can use to remove or disable the Microsoft Teams Chat icon on the Taskbar.
Microsoft includes a new Chat icon representing Microsoft Teams to help you connect with your friends, family, and team members in no time. However, if you are not using Microsoft Teams for any reason, you can remove this icon from the Taskbar. Here are five different guides and you can follow any of them according to your needs.
How to Hide or Remove Chat Icons from Taskbar in Windows 11
To hide or remove the Chat icon from the Taskbar in Windows 11, then follow one of the following five methods below.
1. Use Right Click Menu Options
This is probably the easiest way to hide the Chat icon from the Taskbar on your Windows 11 computer. This is the same way you can hide the Widget icon from the Taskbar. In other words, you can right-click the Chat icon visible on the Taskbar and select the Hide from taskbar option.
Now you can’t find the Chat icon on your Taskbar anymore.
2. Using Windows Settings
This method is useful when you have followed the first method to hide the Chat icon and want to get it back. This method is possible to hide or show the Chat icon from your Windows 11 Taskbar. For that, follow the steps below.
- Press Win + I to open Settings Windows on your computer.
- In the Settings window, select Personalization in the left pane and click Taskbar in the right pane.
- Or, you can right click on Taskbar and choose an option Taskbar settings.
- On the next page in the right pane, toggle the Chat icon button to Off to hide it, or to On to show it again if you have hidden it.
3. Using Registry Editor
You can use the Registry Editor to hide or remove the Chat icon from the Taskbar in Windows 11. However, before following this method, it is recommended to back up the registry or create a system restore point. Next, follow these steps.
- Press the button Win+R, then type regedit and press Enter to open the Registry Editor.
- In the Registry Editor window, browse path following below.
- Next double click on TaskbarMn in the right pane, then change value data Becomes 0 (zero) and click OK to save your settings.
- Now, open the Task Manager by pressing the button Ctrl + Shift + Esc or you can right click Start (or press Win + X) and select Task Manager.
- In the Task Manager window, right click on Windows Explorer and click Restart to restart your Explorer for the changes to take effect.
Notes: If you can’t find TaskbarMn in the right pane, then you’ll have to create it manually. Therefore, right click on Advanced in the left pane, then select New – DWORD (32-bit) Value and name it with TaskbarMn. Then follow the steps described previously.
If you want to get the Chat icon back on the Taskbar, then you can revisit the same path, then double click TaskbarMn and change the Value data to 1. Next, you have to restart the computer or Windows Explorer to get the changes.
4. Using the Group Policy Editor
The Local Group Policy Editor comes with an option to show or hide the Chat icon on the Windows 11 Taskbar. It lets you enable or disable these icons and functions. You can use the same to complete your work. To remove the Chat icon from the Taskbar using the present Group Policy Editor, follow the steps below.
- Press the button Win + R, then type gpedit.msc and press Enter to open the Local Group Policy Editor.
- Next in the Local Group Policy Editor window, browse the following path below this.
Computer Configuration – Administrative Templates – Windows Components – Chat
- Next double click on policy Configures the Chat icon on the taskbar in the right pane.
- In the policy edit window, select an option Enabled.
- Then in the Options, choose Hide from the drop-down menu state.
- Next click Apply and OK to save changes.
- Final, restart your computer to apply the changes.
After restarting, you can’t find the Chat icon on the Taskbar anymore. To get it back, you need to visit the same place, select the option Not Configured and restart your computer.
5. Uninstall Microsoft Teams
If you have no plans to use Microsoft Teams on your Windows 11 computer, then you can uninstall this pre-installed application. Since the Chat icon represents Microsoft Teams, uninstalling it will delete it next to the app. For that, you can follow the steps below.
- Press Win + I to open Windows Settings.
- In the Settings window, select Apps in the left pane and click Apps & features in the right pane.
- Next find Microsoft Teams (Preview) in the right pane, then click three-dot menu next to it and select Uninstall.
- After the uninstall process is complete, restart your computer.
This will remove the Microsoft Teams app as well as the Chat icon from your computer.
So many tutorials this time. Hopefully useful and help you in hiding or removing the Chat icon from your Windows 11 Taskbar. Don’t forget to leave your comments below to share your thoughts and experiences in following this tutorial. Thank you and GBU. UNITED AGAINST COVID-19!!