Is Windows hiding the brightness slider from you? Here’s how to fix it.
Whatever your reason, you will need to adjust the screen brightness at any given time to suit different lighting conditions and purposes.
If you need to observe the details of an image or watch a movie, you will need to increase the brightness. Or you may want to lower it to save your laptop battery.
Whatever the reason, you can’t possibly use your computer for several hours without adjusting the brightness a few times.
So to help get your brightness slider back, we’ve rounded up 5 solutions that will help you out.
Add Brightness Slider to Action Center
If you can still adjust the screen brightness using a keyboard shortcut, you just need to add Brightness to Action Center. Here’s how you can do it easily:
- open Action Center.
- Right click any tile and select Edit quick actions.
- Click Add > Brightness.
If you miss the latest update, your system might be experiencing all kinds of problems because Windows 10 fixes bugs using updates. open Settings > System > About to check if there is an update available.
Update Your Driver
It’s important to keep your drivers up to date to prevent any compatibility issues that would stop your computer from working properly.
If a corrupt or out-of-date driver is causing your brightness slider to disappear, updating it should fix the problem.
- Right click button Start and head to Device Manager.
- Click Actions > Show hidden devices so that every driver is visible.
- Expand list Display adapters.
- Right-click the driver you want to update and select Updates.
- Click Update drivers automatically so Windows will manage the process by itself.
Activate Your Generic PnP Monitor
The brightness adapter may be missing because a third-party application installed a different driver for your primary display device.
This can cause different issues like missing brightness slider. Luckily, you can fix this by enabling Generic PnP Monitor.
- open Device Manager and expand the list Monitors.
- Right click Generic Pnp Monitor and select Properties.
- Open tab Driver.
- Click Enable Device.
Restart Display Enhancement Service
A service that stops working properly might cause the brightness slider to disappear. In that case, restarting that Windows 10 service will fix the problem.
Follow these steps to restart the display management service upgrade:
- insert services in the menu search bar Start and select Run as administrator.
- open Display Enhancement Service.
- Check whether the status Service to Running.
- If the service is already running, click Stop > Start to restart.
Restore Brightness Slider
Hopefully, one of these solutions helped you fix the missing slider issue. As we have already discussed, outdated or malfunctioning drivers can cause this problem. So the easiest way to prevent this from happening again is to make sure you don’t miss any system updates.