Microsoft Word is a very popular word processor, but many still don’t use it. Whether it’s due to cost, access, or preference, not everyone is a fan of Word.
If you fall into this category, you can use alternative Office suites such as LibreOffice or WPS Office.
However, there are still plenty of other great, free options out there if you know where to look. Here are some new alternatives to Microsoft Word that you may not know about.
Jarte has a neat and clean interface that makes it easy to work with your documents. You can create multiple documents in one window using the tabs at the top. You also have the option to customize the app for button labels, auto-detection of links, and word wrapping.
- Edit with basic tools like copy, paste, find and spell check as well as dictionaries and thesaurus.
- Insert images, hyperlinks, tables, equations, and objects.
- Format fonts in bold, italic, underlined, color, size, and style.
- Adjust paragraphs using alignment, indentation, line spacing, and tab stops.
- And others: Multiple views, word count, page and character, zoom in or out, and built-in screenshot feature.
You can download and use Jarte for free. If you’re interested in bonus features like custom keyboard shortcuts, scripts, and autocorrect, you can check out Jarte Plus.
For an application with the same appearance as Microsoft Word, see AbleWord. You have a standard menu at the top for tools like File, Edit, and View, a quick button action just below to undo, redo, and check spelling, and a font formatting bar below that.
- Save documents as DOC, DOCX, PDF, HTML, or TXT.
- Insert images, text frames, tables, and page numbers.
- Format fonts, paragraphs, styles, columns, bullets, and numbering.
- Use table by inserting, selecting, or deleting along with merging and splitting cells.
- And more: PDF file import, print or sort layout view, word count, zoom in or out, and page layout options.
AbleWord is available for free download with all the features. And if you need help getting started, just click the Help button from the toolbar or visit Online Help AbleWord.
SSuite Office provides a number of applications such as a word processor, spreadsheet, and editor. One such product is called WordGraph and is a great alternative to Microsoft Word. Similar to AbleWord, you have a standard menu at the top, action buttons, and a formatting toolbar. Each new document is in its own tab.
- Choose view of full width, center line, or full height along with thumbnail views along the sides.
- Insert object, images, tables, links, emoticons, equations, auto text and character art.
- Format fonts, paragraphs, and visual text effects.
- Use tools to check spelling, word count, track changes, and online dictionaries, thesaurus, and translations.
- And much more: Tiled windows, export of documents, history and statistics, keyboard shortcuts, and cloud storage integration.
FocusWriter is ideal for those who want a distraction-free writing experience. When you open FocusWriter, you’ll see an area of the document on a wooden background. So you can start writing right away. But it also offers the features you need in a word processor when you place your mouse at the top of the window.
- Edit with basic features of undo, redo, cut, copy, and paste.
- Format fonts, paragraphs, indents, and headings.
- Use tools to find, replace, check spelling, and symbols.
- Customize settings for text, theme, and focus preferences.
- And much more: Hiding tools on all four edges, focus timer, daily progress statistics, goal setting, toolbar customization and keyboard shortcuts.
FocusWriter is free and available on multiple platforms. If you like word processing features but prefer a focused writing tool, then this is the app for you.
While aimed at creative writers, Page Four is a great word processor for masters as well. This is because of its Notebook feature which provides a structured hierarchy for your stuff. So you can create new notebooks, add folders and subfolders, and insert pages easily.
- Navigate to each page with tabs at the bottom of the window.
- Format fonts, paragraphs, and lists.
- Use tools to import or export notebooks, word count, and document locking via password.
- Click Smart-Edit to scan your document for overused words and phrases.
- Search text on a page or in a notebook.
- And much more: Customizable views for full-screen writing, snapshot feature with list view, ability to enter dates, characters, links, or email addresses.
Page Four is from Bad Wolf Software and is available free of charge. Just note, the app will not receive future upgrades. But if you like the idea of a free tool that keeps your job well organized, take it.
Shaxpir 4 (pronounced like Shakespeare) is another word processor ideal for creative writers. But don’t let that stop you from trying papers, essays, and even for Brainstorming For Ideas. You can organize documents by type such as books, short stories, or articles, all in an attractive and intuitive interface.
- Navigate to the content using the sidebar.
- Format fonts, paragraphs, styles, and lists.
- insert images, connections and block quotes.
- Export items as DOCX or HTML.
- Plus: Version history (paid), word count, spell check, color coded display for sentiment, clarity, and spelling, and content creation by type and folder.
Shaxpir 4 is available at no cost and comes with a free trial for Shaxpir 4: Pro. If you decide to subscribe to the upgrade, you will receive features such as EPUB export, custom themes, and version history. However, you can still proceed with the free version if you wish.
LyX is a full-featured word processor with lots of extras. You might be surprised at the number of buttons you see under the menu when you open Lyx, but the screen tip when you hover over the buttons helps. choose File > New and you are on your way. You can also work with multiple documents with a handy tabbed view.
- Format fonts, lists, paragraphs, and sections.
- View the outline, source, and message pane within the window.
- Include everything from images, links, and tables to math formulas, quotes, and comments.
- Use tools for spell checking, thesaurus, statistics, and file comparisons.
- And more: Import and export with dozens of file types, math macros, margin notes and footnotes, labels, cross-references, and index entries.
LyX is free and open-source, and available on multiple platforms. This website offers a lot of useful information regarding releases, bug tracking, and development status.
Thinkfree Online Editor
If you’d rather not download a word processor, Thinkfree Online Editor is an excellent choice. To get started, click the New Document plus sign on the main page or select Word from the New Document dropdown box at the top. When the editor opens, you will see your standard menu items and buttons.
- download documents as DOCX or PDF files.
- Format fonts and paragraphs.
- Add header, footer, endnote, page number, or page break.
- Insert shapes, pictures, tables, text boxes, symbols, bookmarks, or links.
- And others: Selection tool, ruler and task pane view, zoom in or out, page setting options such as size, orientation, color, and margins.
Another great online editing option is Hemingway. You can click Write from the top to get started and then Edit to access useful tools. While this editor doesn’t offer specific features for images, tables or downloads like the others, it does provide you with a good writing experience.
- Format the font in bold or italics.
- Add a header that is H1, H2, or H3.
- Create a quote with a click.
- Insert links and lists with bullets or numbers
- And more: Readability tools, color-coded display for voice-enabled, adverbs, and difficult-to-read sentences, and counts words, characters, letters, and more.
Hemingway is one of the simplest yet useful free online writing tools. Apart from internet access, you can check out the Hemingway Editor 3 desktop application with lots of amazing features.
One last alternative to Microsoft Word that is available free online is Draft. This very simple tool has the features you need to create, edit, and save your documents. Like Hemingway, you can write directly on the screen (after you create a free account). One of its standout features is version control.
- Format the font in bold or italics.
- Enter comments, to-dos, images, snippets, and footnotes.
- Export documents as TXT, HTML, DOC, or PDF.
- Share help with your documents from coworkers or fellow students.
- And more: Create folders for organization, preview and Hemingway modes, import files, and customize interface settings.
Draft is a basic but easy tool for your writing needs. From business to personal to education, create the documents you need on any computer with internet access.
Best Alternative to Microsoft Word
Whether it’s cost, access, or features, there are many word processors that can give you what you need if you want to veer away from Microsoft Word. So pick the one that’s right for you and get written!